Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Sporting update...

I promise if I do anything other than work or play sport I'll let you know.

Football is painful to tell you about. At least I've scored my first goal of the season - a free kick just in from the corner flag was pulled back to me and I slammed it home, Sheringham like, to put us 3-2 up away at one of the league's weaker teams. We went to 4-2 before conceding several late goals to lose 6-4. The opposition had only scored 3 goals all season.

Our next game was a cup match against the Chinese team who put 9 past us in a league game. We learnt our lesson and it was only 8 this time. 8-1 the final score, I'll claim an assist for our only goal. The referee played an interesting part - Rob was sent off for 2 bookable offences, Dave (making his debut) was booked for 2 sending off offences (1 for each foot in his horrendous tackle) and one of our defenders gave away a free kick on the edge of our box for his socks being rolled down. Interesting.

Last week's cricket game was quite exciting. It came down to the last partnership with myself and Keggie (captain marval) needing 25 runs to win the match. We were ahead with 3 balls to go and with me on strike all we needed to do was not get out. The next delivery was a quick short one that went right through me, shaving the top of my thumb. The keeper caught it but there was no appeal. Fair enough. The next ball was pretty much the same and I couldn't do much with it. Strike 2. No, I haven't just slipped in a baseball term for no reason, a dot ball in indoor cricket is considered a strike. 2 consecutive ones and you're on strike 2 - which means that you have to run on the next ball, no matter what.

So it came down to the last ball - we were 1 run ahead, I was facing and this bowler had me pegged. He took some pace off and tried a yorker, fortunately for me, which I blocked quite easily and we scampered through for the single to win the game. Get in.

No comments: