Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Mad dogs and Englishmen...

On Saturday afternoon Jo and I headed to a pet shop in Browns Bay to meet up with people and dogs from GAP - Greyhounds As Pets. They were holding a meet a greyhound day. I've long since had a thing for greyhounds, so to speak, and jumped at the chance to go and meet some in person.

Meeting them and speaking with an owner has whetted my appetite even further and I'll almost certainly get one when I'm in a position to do so. Not making any silly bets this time though.

Beforehand, Jo wasn't a fan at all, but upon meeting the dogs she changed her tune a little bit. Especially after one called Floyd snuggled up against her. After the pet shop, the dogs and their owners gathered on the beach to stretch their legs. Jebus they can't half shift. Although one got a bit overexcited when seeing a little dog being walked and was all over it. It was only being friendly and the shrieks of the woman and daughter walking the puffed up curly "dog" were a little over the top.

After this we went to the English shop. Just 1 day short of 18 months after I moved here, this was the first time I'd been. I'm glad I waited this long and made a few impulse buys of items I hadn't even seen for so long. I never thought I'd get teary-eyed over a packet of cheesy wotsits.




Ah Dandelion & Burdock. At the first taste I was transported taken back in time about 20 years to Saturday lunches. The morning was spent scoring freely for the church football team, then back home for a feast from Franks chippy, a bottle of D&B and Saint & Greavsie for entertainment. Perfection.

2 comments:

Smaje said...

Now then Garts. Blimey, I haven't seen those sherbet dips for years. Saint & Greavsie of a Saturday lunchtime was brilliant ("It's a funny old game, Saint..." "Heh heh Greavsie, it certainly is...") - brings back happy memories. (I once served Ian St John when I worked as a waiter. Never left a tip, the tight Scottish get.)

Do they race greyhounds over there? Could be a lucrative sideline for you...

MS

Dancing Queen said...

Now youve got me dreaming of jaffa cakes and nice n spicy niknax