Sunday, November 04, 2007

The big prang...

After the liver-destroying 10 days of Lunt's visit a quiet weekend was in order. I worked all Saturday which was pretty profitable but also pretty tiring.

Sunday was a little more action packed. It started early as I got up to watch Great Britain give the Kiwis a good stuffing in the 2nd rugby league test then Jo and I took a drive to the park. Very relaxing. But all that was undone on the way home...

As I pulled up behind a queue of cars at some lights I heard a screeching of tires behind me. It took my body to be thrown forward to realise that someone was struggling to stop in sufficient time behind me.

SMASH!!

Fortunately for me I drive a very sturdy ute with the last couple of feet being almost entirely made of steel. Including the protruding tow bar.

So I came out of the fender bender with a slightly bent licence plate. The late braker, on the other hand, wasn't quite so lucky. My tow bar had burrowed so deep he was probably trying to change gear with it. His car, to use mechanical vernacular, was a right flipping mess.

To make things worse for the guy he didn't have insurance (not legally required in NZ). Let that be a lesson to you kids.

As far as I can remember this is the first accident I've been in since I was a little kid and someone hit the back of my mum's car. I didn't cry this time though, just moaned a little about whiplash. Cue my mum telling me I was 13 when that happened. And Jo telling me it was more than a little moaning this time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Word. Email me the timings for the UK boy. I'll try and catch you and Jo for some thrills and spills. Will try and get hold of a ultra heavyweight lead bottle opener in advance of your arrival.

Are you going to Paris? I'm there the w/e of the 14 Dec.

It's RL btw. Site is playing up once again.