Thursday, February 28, 2008

I like those odds...

The radio station that keeps me entertained during work, Radio Sport, have recently been running a competition offering the winner a free trip to any sporting event in the world in 2008. To enter you fill in a form on the website, then several times during the day they draw a name out and that person has an hour to call the station back. If you managed this, you were entered into the draw which took place last Monday. I eagerly entered and listened when I could during the day but sadly my name wasn't drawn out (or if it was I missed it).

The winner had selected the NRL Grand Final as his dream sporting trip anywhere in the world. For those who aren't clued up, this is the final of the Australian Rugby League competition. In Sydney. Wow. What a waste! You can pick anywhere and they will fly you there FOR FREE, give you tickets for the event FOR FREE and put you up in a hotel FOR FREE. Maybe this guy doesn't have very lofty ambitions, or has seen and done it all.

Either way, the station decided to run the competition again seeing as sending someone to Sydney would probably eat up about 2% of their budget for this. Can anyone see why I'm bothering you with this yet?

Yesterday I decided to buy a personal radio to listen whilst I'm out of the car mowing lawns. This turned out to be the best $10 I ever spent as during my final lawn today this happened....

CLICK ME

For those who aren't that technologically minded (hi mum), the gist is my name was read out, I called back and I'm now in the draw on Monday to win a free trip to the British GP. Apparently there are thousands registered for this so I've done pretty well to be picked out.

I think there's a maximum of around 100 people who could be in the draw, maybe a lot less depending on how many people didn't call back in the allotted time. So I've got maybe a 80/1 shot of a free trip home.

Sounds ok to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely you should have chose Boundry Park for your worldwide sporting event - i'm sure the NZ public would love to hear about Oldham vs Crewe...

Personally I would have chosen the Olympic 100m final- if not one of many GPs.

Owen said...

Been to the Olympics in Barcelona but never a GP. There are probably more glamorous races to see than one in Northampton but I'm not sure my family would have forgiven me passing up the opportunity for a free trip home.

Anonymous said...

free trip home fair enough, but Formula 1?

If you win I hope you do the decent thing and sack it off to go out on the beers instead.

I would've gone for that El Classico- or whatever they call the River Plate v Boca footy match where they all kill each other. MINT!

Smaje said...

Good work, Gartside. Good choice, too. I think I might have elected the Euro 2008 football final, or as Denners says, the Olympic 100m. Jack suggests Horse fighting in Vietnam.