Friday, September 22, 2006

Car wars...

I was quite shocked yesterday to learn of Richard Hammond's accident and I wish him a speedy recovery. Top Gear is one of my favourite programmes and is a very big hit over here.

Just bear with me as I climb on my soapbox...

...right, here I am. I think it's in incredible bad taste for various left-wing, greenie, tree hugging groups to use this as an opportunity to promote their cause and cite Top Gear for being irresponsible and encouraging reckless driving. Or to blame the public for their desire to watch dangerous stunts. I'm sure if Richard Hammond was asked if he wanted to pilot an attempt at the British Land Speed record without the cameras rolling he would have jumped at the chance.

As would I.

Even though I already hold the British Land speed record for the Hyundai Honey on single lane roads...102mph. Incidentally, the same stretch of road that witnessed the World Land Speed record for a Suzuki Alto...58mph.

It doesn't seem right to mention those 2 cars in the same sentence without talking about the Days of Thunder-esque street race from the racecourse cinema to Edenthorpe. From Heyes' Suzuki on 2 wheels to take the advantage out of the car park, to my overtaking move round the outside completed just before the police car came in to view. It should be a Gran Turismo demo.

Happy days.

Err, Mum, none of the above ever happened. I always treated your car with the greatest of care and respect. I made it all up to sound hard.

4 comments:

Hotstuff said...

He's a TV celeb. I don't know him. Also I have difficulty feeling too sorry for someone attempting to break a land speed record and getting into bother, unfortunate though the incident may be. Hence other news stories bother me much more than this one.


The world has gone celeb mad.

Owen said...

I agree, the world has gone "celeb" mad.

So what other news stories are bothering you at the moment then Lunt?

This one?

An interesting new hotpot recipe for the Rovers.

Hotstuff said...

No, it's this one.

What a faux pas. It still makes me giggle years later.

PT said...

Genius. The inevitable question pops up:

"Mr Jowett is currently on sick leave."

Well, how sick is he?

Etc.