Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Ups and downs

It was an evening of personal triumphs and failures at the quiz last night which I'll share with you now. Only because I know you want me to.

One the one hand I picked the flag of Nepal (although we put down something else), got that Spitalfields market is in London and knew a Maserati from it's picture. On the other I blew a couple of UK questions....

What is the highest peak in Britain?

And, yet again I failed on a Beatles question...what 1967 album is Lucy in the sky with diamonds from?

Not getting either of those is pretty embarrassing.

But I did redeem myself with getting the next two:

"It had to be you" is the theme to which 1989 film?

Who played Brian in the Life of Brian?

Going back to the Maserati question - I actually saw one the other day and made a mental note of the badge. Now that's commitment to the quiz cause.

I've just realised - all I seem to talk about on here is going out and Tuesday quiz nights. I'm going to have to get some interests in my life other than drinking and trivia....

....Nahh

9 comments:

Mark Millward said...

higest peak in britain? ben nevis, isn't it?

Lucy In THe Sky With DIamonds? Is that from Magical Mystery Tour?

BAH, no it isnt', i just checked

DO YOU SEE HOW HONEST I AM. I could have checked first, then pretended I new, but I was prepared to stake my reputation on it first. I really should have known it was on Sgt Peppers. an almighty cock up by me there.

ah well, to atone myself - william shatner recorded a ludicrous version of this song - somebody has posted this is a homemade video to accomodate this landmark of musical history.

Owen said...

You're in good company Mward - I made the same almighty cock up.

Anonymous said...

I should say ben nevis, Sgt pepper (without looking at the answers - yes i am a clever dick) and that gay one who died from aids played brian.

Anonymous said...

chapman, cant remember his first name. Terry?

alicerachel said...

Yep, I'd have said definitely Ben Nevis and Sgt Pepper, and it's Graham Chapman isn't it? No idea about the song - probably some girly romcom that I have managed to avoid upto now.

Hmm, I really must do something about the desolate wasteland that is my blog. Luckily I'm doing a quiz on Sunday so I can steal this no-effort-required-comments-guaranteed posting idea of yours...

Owen said...

It's a Moyles-patented ratings winner that's for certain. Although "no effort required"?? I have to sit through 4 hours of a question master who can't even pronounce the name Baird for you people. Worth it when listening to him attempt "cephalopod" though.

Some good knowledge shown there Frenchie, but shame on you for not knowing that the film in question is When Harry Met Sally.

Boz - astute guess of the first name Terry, seeing as that covers a third of all monty pythi. But it's Graham. Is he dead from the bad aids then?

Anonymous said...

as an aside, one of the best pub quiz questions was in ye olde castle a few years back.

"Who were the first pair to fly across the atlantic?"

the answer left terry the quizmaster in stitches, unable to proceed with the remaining answers for a good five minutes.

Owen said...

Don't leave us hanging Boz...

Anonymous said...

you wont believe it, but honestly its true...

the first transatlantic flight was completed by the perfect partnership...

alcock and brown