Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Weather...

Weird weather recently, which I'm still not used to... Dark, dirty storm clouds for as far as the eye can see so I take shelter in my truck. Then, 10 minutes later bright blues skies and warm sunshine. By the time I got home later in the day, a giant (20 second long) hail storm struck before more glorious sunshine. Crazy.

When the weather isn't as buck wild as this I have to find other ways of entertaining myself when working. One is to try and get texts read out on radio sport. I've not had much luck lately, they don't seem that interested in my pro-English sport ramblings, until today. The subject was great sporting family dynasties. Here's one especially for my mum...

CLICK HERE

Nice bit of editing if I do say so myself. Apologies for the sound quality - that's what they put on their website.

I could talk about the rugby at Eden Park the other week but the NZ Herald says it all really. Even if they do say it like a drunk pom hater in the pub with his mates.

The planned big night out didn't go that well either. A few of us congregated at Will and Jiah's place for the AGM of the Eden Stallions (done for purposes of gaining sponsorship money) where I managed to lobby successfully for president. Sweet. I say AGM, but that lasted about 2 minutes. The rest of the time was spent on Guitar Hero and drinking our way through an epic table tennis tournament.

We got to the pub near the ground about an hour before kick off but the queue was massive so a bit of street drinking took place before getting to the game. The game was a bit of a blur. A packed house, but not the atmosphere of the Twenty20 game and a poor result. Afterwards the original group of 13 got broken up and Jo, I, Dave and Sonya were the only ones who made it to town. Sonya didn't make it much further though and the night came to a close.

Sport over the last 8 or 9 days didn't get much better. England were saved by the rain at the cricket, then imploded to gift the Black Caps their first win. I predicted wins for Portugal, Croatia, Holland and Italy in the Euro quarters and got 0/4. Good work! Now my Italian brothers are out I think I want ......... to win. I have no answer to that question. The worse thing has been that England weren't in it.

Then the rugby team got beat again.

In my lifetime there's only been a few spells of enjoyment for me as an English sports fan. Italia 90 - brilliant, but ended in tears. Euro 96 - best time of my life, then ended in tears. Ashes 05 - longest sustained period of joy for me as an English sports fan and at least we won, but been crying ever since.

It almost makes me want to give up and become a yank. They invented sports as we did. But they were clever about it, unlike us they kept the sports to themselves and called winning teams the world champions. They can never lose! Genius.

1 comment:

Swiss James said...

Apparently you're forgetting about our glorious geld in the Winter Olympics Women's Curling.

We're screwed for the World Cup too, have you seen our qualifying group?