Monday, June 02, 2008

I'm a streamer...

It's Queen's birthday weekend. I don't think that means a great deal in England but here in NZ old queenie grants us a day off work to partake in the celebrations. There are street parties, bunting and Vera Lynn on the wireless. Or maybe no one cares and just puts their feet up and watches Rachel Ray.

We've been living here in Browns Bay for a couple of weeks now and the loss of sky sports hasn't hit me as hard as I expected. I've managed to find just about every sporting event I want to watch streamed on the internet and I'm currently watching England 'B' sweep aside the plucky Trindad & Tabogganists. I even prefer the US channel, Wheels TV, coverage of the Formula 1.

I also live a lot closer to the English Shop here in Browns Bay. I met Jo for lunch the other day and was very cosmopolitan in choosing sushi. However, I followed it up with a Lion bar and washed it down with a can of Tizer. Just for old times sake. I presume they've taken all the good stuff out of Tizer (sugar, additives, red dye) as it wasn't quite as nice.

Another good local attraction is the British Isles Pub. It's a mere one minute walk away and has all manner of english paraphernalia on the walls. And, obviously, a giant South African flag on the ceiling. In the quiz on Tuesday Jo, I, Rob and Mia finished a creditable 6th out of 13. We had food too which was outstanding. I had the beef and vegetable lasagna which was probably the best I've had in NZ and it came with a salad served in a popadum! Unorthodox but delicious.

There has been a lack of posts, mainly due to lack of exciting things I've done but watch this space... It's my birthday soon and there'll be a big night out taking in the All Blacks vs England rugby test at Eden Park. Swing lowwww.............. and so forth.

No comments: