Monday, April 10, 2006

Book worm

I was just in Whitcoulls (the NZ equivalent of WH Smith's) and discovered that I've only read 7 of their top 100 books of all time (numbers 2, 11, 21, 25, 27, 46 and 91 if you were wondering).

That's a mere 7%. Pretty poor, I'm sure you'll agree. If only I was a Harry Potter fan I would have near on doubled my tally.

I've been reading quite a lot since I got here so decided to get a new book. I was torn between "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" and "Birdsong". I've recently read quite a depressing, but excellent one (The Lovely Bones) so decided to leave the WWI book for now and throw $25 at the weird dog one.

I knew I should have nicked that from Acres' house when I had the chance.

6 comments:

Hotstuff said...

I don't really read much fiction but that Dog in the Night Time book is ace.

I'd like to take this opportunity to reveal whodunit - it was the butler. Enjoy the rest of the book.

Owen said...

I thought it had to be good seeing as it was the book of choice in the Acres trap.

Given the amount of time he spends in there it wasn't going to be a bad read was it?

Anonymous said...

read that on holiday last year - and i concur it to be a good one.

I've read 12.5 (mainly due to the fact that we read Patrick the Harry Potter books and also we have Hairy McLairy from Donaldsons Dairy at home too)

1,2,9(only half of it so far),11,19,26,30,33,55,63,67,72,94.

And it would be more if I could have been arsed to read Wuthering Heights and the Bible.

Theres a few more on there on Jansbookshelf so i might improve my score just to impress you all.

Or i might not, I havent decided yet.

alicerachel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alicerachel said...

18.5 is the new score to beat! 2,8,9,11,16,17 (not proud of that one),19,21,22,26,27,30,40,56,63,72,80,83 (gave this up - bit naff),94.

Since I read The God of Small Things a couple of years ago nothing has ever come close to matching it - if a book ever changed my life I'd say that was it. So there's my recommendation for y'all.

PS Sorry for raising the tone...

Owen said...

This was a mistake on my part - starting a competition I had no chance of winning. Although if you take the potter books out of the equation then I'm not that far off.

I'm not allowing half books read by the way, it's all or nothing. Or else I'm including the bible - I've had most of that read to me over the years anyway.