Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Dirty 30...

Mr Andrew Creegan turns 30 today.

 
 Posted by Picasa

As he's the first one of us to reach this landmark I think it deserves a bit of recognition and a couple of pictures of course.

Having known him for over 18 years, 13 of which have been alcohol influenced, I have countless funny memories.

Let me share 3 of my favourites, in no particular order:

1. There had to be a backyard cricket memory and I'll resist the obvious story that people who weren't there may find funny and stick with one that is the epitomy of "you had to be there". While housesitting Pete's brother's place we were playing cricket in the field out back. Creegan, unflappable as always at the crease, played a rock solid forward defensive shot. To a Heyes bouncer. He didn't flinch one bit as he steered it perfectly to fine leg with a glancing header. The nonchelant look he gave me and Pete in the field was hilarious and had us in stitches for hours.

2. This one is slightly more universal for those who know Creegans 'butter wouldn't melt' ways with parents. Again it was me, Pete and Creegan sat around my parents kitchen table, waiting for my sister to get the car out and give us a lift to town. We'd been drinking cans of Holsten Pills we got on the cheap from Rhythym 'n' Booze. Turns out they were so cheap because they were about 3 months out of date. They seemed to affect Heyes the most, something which didn't escape the attention of my mum...

My mum: "Are you going to be alright Peter?"
Heyes: *barely lifts head off table*
Creegan: "It's ok Mrs Gartside, I'll look after him" *polishes halo*
Heyes (to Creegan): "What do you think I am? Some sort of fucking gibbon?"

Heyesie immediately buried his head in his hands aware of what he'd just said, and I soon followed suit, trying to control fits of laughter. Swearing doesn't happen much in my house see. I'm not sure what my Mum's reaction was, but Andy soon chipped in, looking utterly horrified...

Creegan: "Peter, there's no need for that sort of language."

3. For number 3 I could have chosen him smashing a kiwi fruit on Breeny's head or our rolling around the college road union floor after 7 blastaways, but I'll stick with his best ever metaphor hybrid... to "splash the boat out". Absolute quality.

Happy birthday mate...

 
 Posted by Picasa

Oh, and one more thing, congratulations to Andy and his lovely girlfriend Sharon, who announced their engagement a while ago. I coulnd't imagine a better couple (yep, even better matched than Groome and Heyesie)...

 
 Posted by Picasa

The wedding is at the end of 2007 so I'll be back in the UK for that, see you all then...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday andrew.

fraid i more than probably wont be over for the bash, but have one on me. dont worry, james will pay for it.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Have a pint for me - james will pay for that one too.

Owen said...

Those stories may have become slightly distorted in my mind over the years but that's how I remember them anyway.

Shortlisted but didn't quite make it:

"Lets call it Wednesday"
The keymaster general night.
"CHASE BACK CHASE BACK" - one for Acres
Paranoid delusions in Amsterdam
"That should just about cover it mate"
Classic arguments such as:
"What would you have done if you'd missed the train?"
"But I didn't."
"But what would you have done if you had?"
"But I didn't though"
Repeat for 30 minutes...

If anyone else wants to share their favourite Creegan moment feel free...

Anonymous said...

Happy b'day Mr Creegan. Hope you had a good one.

Anonymous said...

on an amsterdam vein, the old " kronic dealing" and "the elvis has left the building" will always bring a tear to my eye.

Or going to some dirty man club, venue i believe, in alan shearer slippers after a botched stubby challenge.

Its almost an obituary this int it.

Owen said...

T'is indeed mate. He is 30 though, that's as good as dead.

Did he also come out with "that's good deckling"?

Anonymous said...

deckling. yep, that was another andrewism

didnt he fall in a swamp once and have to walk back about 5 miles to the tent. in the dark. in only his underpants because the taxi driver refused to admit him into his carriage?

oh no wait a minute that was...

Anonymous said...

happy birthday creegan senior. how did you get to 30 with all your hair? congrats on the engagement too. good derry lass and all that! owen, that im not a fucking gibbon thing has just destroyed me. i can see it so clearly! genius.

Anonymous said...

What, no "OK Mrs Gartside, we'll call it Wednesday"
nor
"I told you there were helicopters up there"
nor the time he ran for that "50/50 ball" (more like 95/5) so hard that he couldn't stop and banged his tooth out on the side of the JJB pitch?

JCC

Owen said...

All good ones that were considered. Along with "I need help. Like teachers in classrooms"