Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Chocks away...(Sunday 5 Feb)

Greetings from the other side of the world!

I've been here a week now, and I'm getting settled and used to the place. Currently I'm crashing on Si and Leanne's floor whilst I'm searching for somewhere to live. Seen a couple of good places already but I'm still waiting for them to call and offer me the room. That reminds me, I'll have to take my phone in to be checked tomorrow - I think it must be faulty.

Went out on the first night, but as that was a sunday Auckland was pretty quiet. First major night was my first Friday...finally called it a day at 7am and the hangover is still raging (its Sunday evening now).

Today was a first for me - I flew a plane! This was a tad unexpected. Leanne's friends Amy and Kev came a knocking this morning and it turns out that Kev is a pilot. Him, Si and myself headed for Ardmore aerodrome and spent a pretty amazing hour checking out the views from 2000ft above Auckland and pulling 2.5G turns over the water. I can't believe I didn't throw up. Kev let me have the controls for a while too and apart from gaining us a few hundred feet without realising it, I had a fairly trouble free first flying experience. I'm told I've got to start using the term "awesome" in NZ and it definitely applies to this.

"What's my vector, Victor?"

Maverick (Kev)
Goose (Si)

Back to the reality of looking for somewhere to live now.

4 comments:

Owen said...

It was pre-arranged but I was kept in the dark. A nice suprise I must say.

mrCreegan said...

and I thought I was having a treat at little chef services in Oxford.

Mark Millward said...

i remember you saying a few months ago that your plans for new zealand were up in the air but i didn't think you meant literally.

see what happens? you leave the country and i'm still an unfunny bastard.

Hotstuff said...

Good to see that you're safety conscious and have got your seatbelt on. You’ll be thankful for that if you nosedive into the floor at 400mph.