Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Melbourne...Part Two

A cool day today, only 37C. Ben and Nicola had to work so I was alone to go sight-seeing. Top of my list was a tour of the MCG, the most famous and historic cricket ground outside of England. It was a very interesting tour conducted by one of the MCC members and we saw most of the in and outside of the place. One slight shame was that it was being prepped for the Commonwealth Games in March so no cricket pitch and quite a lot of building work was going on. Still, great place though and not too many pom jokes whilst going round (I was the only one in the group).



After this I walked back to the centre for some lunch before heading to sight number 2. In celebration of Australia Day I wanted to go and see the Old Melbourne Gaol. However, due to a slight (180 degree) directional miscalculation I ended up on the wrong side of the city centre. Fortunately though, I was next to the Rialto Towers - a huge building and member of the World Group of Towers (or summat). Along with the likes of Seoul Tower and the Sky Tower, oh and Blackpool tower. Good views of the city, very high, yadda yadda.
Got back to the apartment about 5 minutes ahead of some incredibly heavy showers, lounged about for a bit then headed back into town when Nicola was back from work to meet Ben for drinks.

Ben was in a bar with his work colleagues who made me realise one of the (few) things I miss about office life...gossip and back stabbing. The group thinned out one by one and by midnight it was just me and Ben left standing. And I thought the aussies were supposed to be drinkers? A few vodkas, a dodgy black russian, an unfinished pint and a couple hours of good chat later we were done. Cracking night, although Melbourne was very quiet - this was unusual apparently and we even had no trouble getting into a couple of poncy bars that normally queue round the block.

No comments: