Tuesday, August 08, 2006

New job (again)...

So I'm 2 days into my new job and things are much better...

PROS (I'm ignoring the fact that I don't like working in offices)

* Bright, open plan office, windows and aircon.

* Clean traps.

* Full email and internet access - majorly important as the odd couple of minutes every 2 hours or so definitely makes me work more productively for the rest of the time. Fact. Honest.

* My desk backs on to a wall so no one can see what I'm doing - you know, all the hard work and such like.

* The girls on my desk are nice and friendly - conversation topics to date have included fizzy haribos, skiing, quality english pubs and jaffa cakes.

* I can walk to work and back - about 45 minutes per trip. Saves me $6 per day and gets me active before and after 8 hours on my backside.

* The job itself is fairly complex, reasonably challenging and fortunately not data entry. It also includes talking to other humans which is a bonus.

* Pay is good, so I can have a decent life over the next few months whilst simultaneously saving for the big aussie trip.

* Regular morning teas apparently, which consist of, if today is the benchmark, sausage rolls, mini pies, scones, muffins and chocolate cake.

* Free ice cream every other Friday afternoon.

* Dress down Fridays.

* Incredibly fit receptionist.

* I don't get called Oven.

CONS

* I don't get called Oven.

5 comments:

mrCreegan said...

I'm having visions of calipo sucking ladies...mmmmm.
p.s - hope you gave the tut a mention.

Smaje said...

This sounds absolutely great. Where's the catch? Fit lasses, loads of perks, internet-friendly desk, interesting work, decent pay... my guess is that you will still be there this time next year.

Owen said...

The catch is I have to work in an office, which I hate. Once I've got the job sorted the boredom may very well set in (but at least I'll have the internet friendly desk).

As for how long I'm here - 6 weeks worth of holiday starting on Boxing Day so I'm guessing they're not flexible enough to allow that.

Andy - Did I mention the Tut? Of course I did...the greatest damn pub on earth.

Another perk today - a monthly update talk from the head honcho. Doesn't sound much like a perk, but it was held in a swanky members club next door and the silver service team dished up fruit salad, endless tea, croissants and a plate of eggs benedict (with bacon). Brucie bonus for me as there was a vegetarian on our table so I got 2 helpings.

Anonymous said...

Incredibly fit receptionists?

Are they looking for Corpse Inspectors?

Anonymous said...

you dont get called oven?

are they looking for a payroll monkey?