Thursday, August 24, 2006

Shooting some b-ball outside of the school...

I've been watching a bit of the basketball world championships from Japan. It's quite big here as the Tall Blacks finished 4th 4 years ago. I'm not so keen on them doing the haka before each game though. Fair enough when it's the rugby and the likes of Piri Weepu...




but when it's a baggy shorts wearing Peter Crouch lookalike doing it, well it just doesn't have the same effect.

By the way, I'm 29 years old and still snigger when I hear the name Weepu. Oh dear.

3 comments:

Hotstuff said...

I saw NZ play rugby union when I was in Oz visitng my pa. I saw NZ vs Tonga at the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane (93 World Cup game) and the double haka before the game (Tonga have one) was one of the greatest sporting things I've ever seen. I'm sure it helped Tonga get geared up for the game as well. They kept NZ down to a mere 92 points.

Just reread the above. Do I win a prize for making the dullest comment ever.

Owen said...

Pretty dull Lunt, but there's been duller.

The haka is great if you ask me. And the new one is even better, with the throat slitting gesture. Would you believe the aussies have complained about it though as it suggests that they actually want to kill them. Gay.

Anonymous said...

Another boring post, but I saw Tonga play NZ in the League WC at Warrington (waay back when). The Tongan haka so enamoured the crowd, that Warrington promptly signed half the squad.

They were bloody awful.