Sunday, August 27, 2006

A sad end...

Greenhithe's season came to an end today with defeat in the Plate Final.

The game started at a fair old pace and Greenhithe raced into a 3-0 deficit. Some good wing play by the Zamantics, erm, winger led to a few floated crosses which caused havoc for the unchallenged keeper.

However, we were soon back in the game as Pete sent me through on goal and I hit it across the keeper into the far corner. I'm normally quite self-deprecating (ahem) when it comes to describing goals, but this was a GREAT finish - straight as a laser into the corner.

Pete then scored a penalty to take us in at half time 3-2 down. Things didn't start well in the second half as we conceded another sloppy goal to go further behind. We got back to 4-3 with another goal from Pete. It was a tap in from a corner, a corner won when the keeper tipped a shot of mine round the post (sadly my only other effort on target in the game).

In the final 20 minutes we had a volley of mine just wide, a free kick just over, a shot of Pete's just wide, a one-on-one saved and with the very last touch of the game, a flicked header that fell just the wrong side of the post.

Very disappointing. Also, Si and Leanne didn't realise my camera was in my stuff so there's no footage either.

So it's close season now - and only 7 months to wait until it all kicks off again.

2 comments:

Hotstuff said...

Are you boozing again yet? Bet you are.

Owen said...

Lunt, I had 2 pints during the quiz. I intended to only drink orange juice but I was drawn in by the fact that the booze is slightly cheaper as I have a loyalty card for that place now. I did, however, drink Radler - which is a lemon and lime flavoured beer. So that's close enough.

James, someone has nicked the idea