Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Jingle bells, batman smells...

I've been a bit skinny on posting of late. 2 reasons. First of all, I didn't go out and get hammered this weekend. Yep, you heard right. Secondly, I can't for the life of me think of something witty to say in reply to Heyesie's comment. I guess I could either say "Yes", not true and not funny, or "No", true, but still not funny.

So I'm just going to ignore it, hope it goes away, and write about something that is really creeping me out...Christmas.

It's just over a month away now and the whole thing just doesn't feel right. I'm guessing in England the nights are really drawing in, it's a real joy to get back to a toasty home after work, curtains are constantly shut, big winter jumpers are being worn, people in Manchester have been through 3 pairs of wiper blades already and all thoughts are turning to giant turkeys and rubbish crackers. And I mean RUBBISH. Even the M&S ones...utter garbage. I'm not sure what's more frustrating - getting a posh prize like one of those plastic corks that don't fit flush in a wine bottle, or getting a more down to earth prize like a tiny plastic box with 3 holes to get the ballbearings in to. You play with the thing till the end of Boxing day trying to get all 3 in until you just end up standing on the bastard. But I digress.

Over here, the summer is starting to poke through the clouds, shorts and jandals (flip-flops to you lot) are usual weekend-wear and it's all about bbq's and cricket in the park.

Shops are now full of Christmas trees and decorations and the tv adverts are in full swing. They get to me even more..."Come to Farmers for all your Christmas gift needs. We have beach towels, barbeques, sunglasses..." it goes on.

It's just not right. I'm just not feeling very Christmassy.

Now the question is, do I embrace the topsy-turvy nature of a southern hemisphere Christmas, or do I make a one man stand and turn up at Rob's family home on Christmas day wearing 4 layers of clothes and demand we all go outside and throw ice cubes at each other?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You spot on about petes comment, i was going to say something like, thats the wittiest thing ever. but thought better of it. so i think by leaving it by itself we have put it on the suitable pedestal.

well done pete.

and sort those updsidedownlanders out about christmas. good boy.

Mark Millward said...

og, stop moaning, you whinging get. there's nothign wrong with tiny plastic boxes with 3 holes and ball bearings. i'd've thought local kids near you would stare agog at such an item, as if it were a psp or the like

if ever you had something really magical, like a game boy, or maybe even an atari lynx, you'd be dragged out your house, tried as a witch and burnt at the stake.

Owen said...

Never had a game boy or a lynx.

I was C64 all the way. Paperboy, California Games, Gauntlet, then upgrade to the amiga and the likes of Turrican, Super Cars 2 and IK+. Happy days.

Although times change and none of that compares to thrashing Groome every time round the Nurburgring on GT4. Pure magic.

Mark Millward said...

i never had a commodore, speccy, atari, amiga, megadrive, snes, mastersystem, pong, gameboy, whatever etc etc.

the millward household had a BBC Micro. I think that explains a lot of things of how my life has turned out.

Hotstuff said...

I had an Acorn lecky then followed up with a Amstrad CPC6128 complete with a built in 3.5 inch floppy drive (or was it 3.25 inch?) and green screen monitor. Anyhow, t'was a monster.

And I had a Megadrive before they came out in the UK. To think I used to be on the cutting edge of all things technological.

And Turrican and IK+ are well ace OG, though you've you've missed Matchday 2 and Emlyn Hughes' (RIP) International Soccer.

Owen said...

Exaggerating your inches again Lunt?

The Emlyn Hughes game was great. Although after a while I figured a way to score every time. If only life remained that simple eh?

Telly Addicts...a brucie bonus for anyone who can tell me the name of the daytime quiz show Emlyn Hughes hosted?

Anonymous said...

so does father christmas turn up in a big red coat and black boots down there? dont the kids get suspicious?

Owen said...

They'd be more suspicious if a fat old guy turned up in speedos asking the kids to put sun cream on his back.

Anonymous said...

you surely can't mean a Question of Sport. But that's the only one I know so that's what I'm saying.

Anonymous said...

err that was me.

(James)

((Creegan))

Owen said...

No I don't mean Question of Sport.