Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Mugs game

The Melbourne Cup took place yesterday. The "race that stops a nation" is the southern hemishpere equivalent of the Grand National and the state of Victoria has it off as a national holiday. No such luck on this side of the Tasman unforunately.

I did, of course, have a flutter. I liked the sound of Pop Rock and at 8/1 seemed like a decent punt so I stuck 10 bucks on. I also considered Delta Blues but the odds were a bit longer.

Here is the photo finish...



Pop Rock (went off at 5/1JF) is nearest to the camera and made a late charge only to be beaten by a nose by, you guessed it, Delta Blues (17/1).

Bugger.

4 comments:

Dancing Queen said...

Bugger, I knew the ones I drew from the sweepstake were both DONKEYS!!

Owen said...

Betting on the horses is only fun if you're at the track and drinking.

Losing a load of cash doesn't seem to matter so much then.

Smaje said...

Unlucky. I saw that race on Sky Sports News - a very exciting finish. Delta held on very well, despite the late surge from the favourite.

Mark Millward said...

Has smaje been watching the greek letter olympics again?






(and here's alpha coming up on the inside, it looks like he's going to beat her..)