Thursday, November 02, 2006

When in Rome...

Well I've seen a lot of rugby on the telly and down at Eden Park so it was only a matter of time before I got that egg in my hands and ran with it.

After work tonight I played touch rugby for a team Rob is involved in. It was the grading matches where your results determine what league you play in. We had a defeat and a 0-0 draw so I guess we'll be playing in a poor league. This is a good thing though seeing as I'm shit.

I haven't picked up a rugby ball since I got flattened by James Joyce (RIP) on a rock hard McAuley pitch in the middle of the winter in 1989. And it showed.

It was good fun though and I managed a couple of cheeky swerves as well as giving away a few penalties for something called "offside".

3 comments:

Hotstuff said...

Touch rugby indeed...

If you're going to do it, do it properly. Then again, you wouldn't want anyone messing up your doo and you've got your nails to think about.

That game is often mixed isn't it?

It's all becoming clear.

Please confirm that a Salsa class has not been included on the long list of activities you've been up to btw.

Anonymous said...

is james joyce dead? i remember when i used to fight before everyone got big (tho i think he was alwasy big) that he used to throw me around like andre the giant and then not hurt me even though i tried to hit him in the nuts

Owen said...

Lunt - it's pretty much a cross between rugby league and the sissy version of british bulldog. And it's mixed. But it's pretty hard work so it's good exercise and a good opportunity to show off to girls. In the football off season it's either this or indoor netball.

There are salsa classes at our local on Wednesday nights but that clashes with the bowls which starts next week. Shame.

Haggis - I'm fairly sure he's dead. I seem to remember that bit of news doing the rounds years ago. My only other memory of him was a rugby one - he had the ball and was heading for the line with about 5 kids hanging on to his jersey/shorts/legs/arms but not slowing him down in any way.

Maybe they should have kicked him in the nuts.