Thursday, July 13, 2006

Egg Heads...

A few weeks ago I suggested doing a weekly pub quiz on Tuesday nights to get the house out and about instead of midweek tv watching. Me and Rob were the only ones who made it out previously finishing 2nd bottom in the Cock & Bull quiz or rather the quiz AT the Cock & Bull. Rubbish quiz with stupid questions.

The week later we tried the one at the Kingslander - much better, all the questions are on the big tv screens, with music and video clips and everything. Plus you didn't have to pay to enter. We finished 11th out of 30 which wasn't so bad considering we were a team of 2. And we were the only ones to get the Ponderous Puzzle right on the first go. The PP is where at the end of each round they give you a clue. The clues get progressively easier and if you get it at the end of the first round you get 10 points, end of the 2nd round= 9 points and so on.

This one was "I am a landmark that has been visited by the Queen, Fidel Castro, JFK and Lassie the dog". Answer here (lucky guess by me)

This week we got a bigger team together...me, Si, Leanne, Hamish and 2 of us mates - Marcos another Hamish.

We held the lead for the first few rounds, then dropped back slightly only to fight back magnificently to 3rd place and a $25 bar tab. This, between 6 of us, equates to about a small lemonade each. We only missed out on 2nd place by 1 point and can put this down to talking ourselves out of Fiat Punto (had to get make and model of a picture of a car) and also crossing out London for where Hendrix died and putting New York instead. Dummies.

Although we did unexpectedly well on some other questions, such as Hamish knowing Prince Harry's actual first christian name and Si knowing that Rihanna has a song out with the same name as the Abba song played (S.O.S)

And we got the PP first time again through good teamwork between me and Hamish...This one was "I am an event, wasn't held in 1917, 1918, 1942-1945, the prize money is over NZ$15 million and was held for the 90th time this year." Click here for answer


We'll be back for more bar tabs...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ah, the pub quiz. I do so miss it. I tried to take the kids to one but I got I.D'd.
oh well,

I actually did try a local one a while back with Jan. didnt do too badly, but made a right cock of myself in the pursuing raffle, when the MC was calling out ticket numbers, I thought they were winners. SO when my lucky number was called over the PA, I excietledly ran to the desk to collect my prize, only to be spanked down over the mic when the whole damn pub was told what a misguided fool i was.

Still, I've had worse.

Owen said...

The pub quiz is a good laugh. Glad we've found a decent one and it definitely beats staying in to watch Rebel Billionaire or some such garbage.

I will post my favourite question each week to keep everyone's grey matter working.