Monday, July 24, 2006

A funny old game...

After a crushing 6-2 home defeat to the Chinese Star Sports, who were just above us in the league, things were looking ominous as we lined up against the runaway league leaders Bohemian Celtic. Our manager gave us a rousing team talk which included such inspirational gems as...

"We'll have to watch out seeing as they started warming up 30 minutes before you lot lit your first cigarette"

"We're playing Owen, Rob and Pete up front"....which I thought was a clever attacking ploy until.... "and everyone else in defence."

The best was being told.... "and you 3 stay on the last man. Don't come back into your own half at all."

To which I commented to Rob, in true Creegan-hybrid style.... "that's like words to my ears"

The game plan almost worked until we went 1 down within 2 minutes. But we fought back and equalised with a quality goal - I flicked the ball on to Pete who centred from the left to an onrushing Rob who side-footed in to the top corned, postage-stamp style. A great goal to open his account for the team. The 3 up top worked wonders. Shame the 7 in defence couldn't match our prowess as a cocky little tosser (confusingly also called Owen) waltzed through to score about 30 seconds later.

We equalized again in the 2nd half. A long throw flicked on to me, one touch to control, one to finish and I had my 5th goal in as many games.

They must have had about 99% possession and 20 corners but it was Greenhithe, and me, who had 2 good chances to go back ahead. Aaaaaaanyway it stayed 2-2 until late on when the defence finally caved and we lost 3-2.

Not really sure why I did such a long match report as no one but me is bothered. The gaffer did tell us something else exciting though - apparently the team have a big end of season booze up/presentation AND they go away for a weekend for another booze up and a couple of friendly matches. Sweet.

No comments: