Thursday, October 05, 2006

The greatest day of my life...

I'm not married and I have no kids (that I know of) so I think it's ok for me to say that.

Millhouse, Smaje, Rowell, avert your eyes for a bit and restrain from your usual slagging off and let me enjoy my moment...

The one and only Alan Shearer has been in New Zealand for a couple of days, and today me and Rob got to meet him! His final stop in the country was to go to Rebel Sports for a signing session. Rob is on school holidays but I had to get the day off, but it was totally worth it. We got there about 30 minutes before he was due and were pretty horrified to see the HUGE queue.

It was made even more annoying by the amount of unworthies ahead of us and it was made clear by the staff that HE had a plane to catch and we may miss out. About an hour of queuing later we were right at the door when the manager of the shop came up and told us that Alan had to go soon and he would have to end the line right in front of us...NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I actually almost started crying.

Then, seeing me nearly in tears, the two women (there with 7 very young kids) ahead of us told the staff that we'd let them go ahead of us so it would be unfair if we missed out. The staff took pity and we were in. One of the women said "we just couldn't have lived with ourselves, it's a big deal to you isn't it? I don't even know who he is."

So that was it, we were in - the last 2 people in the queue, with about another 300 people left outside. Phew.

My conversation with him went:

Alan: "How are yer?"
Me: (in falsetto) "Good thanks"
Then I went for the handshake and thanked him for all the England goals.

I'll be getting the Euro 2000 signed shirt framed and hung on the wall of our new place.

13 comments:

Smaje said...

Congratulations! Why was there a huge queue for him to sign England shirts? Were they all English ex-pats?

Why was he in New Zealand? And what's the relevance of the Efan Ekoku question? A Sheff Wednesday fan I presume?

Anonymous said...

holy flipping crap! i cant believe you met superstar shearer. flip, i am jealous. i actually feel a bit sick with envy, jealousy and excitement! nice one for thanking him for the england goals. dont suppose he said he was going to come back and play until dean ashton is fit, did he? liked the efan ekoku question. laters northerner

Owen said...

He was signing anything made by umbro. So people were funnelled in by a huge bin of umbro footballs.

He was also signing any Newcastle or England shirts.

He was here for a childrens coaching school yesterday, then "An Evening with Alan Shearer" last night, a radio interview this morning followed by the signing session. Seems a long way to come for a couple of days if you ask me. Bothered.

There is no relevance in the Efan Ekoku question...that's the beauty of it.

Anonymous said...

I bumped into John Barnes hurrying through the grange precinct in birkenhead last week.

Anonymous said...

I just remembered the time we went to see england v sweden and you had a little kid ejected from his seat 5 minutes before kick off.

somehow I respect your lack of morality in these situations.

Hotstuff said...

Alan who? Whoever he is, he's no Peter Crouch.

Anonymous said...

Let's hope the bloke stays over in NZ...

Owen said...

Boz, they ended the line after us, so the kids got in too. Although I suspect they wouldn't have been all that bothered if they hadn't have made it.

And that kid at the Sweden game got in on a ticket nicked from our letterbox. Served him right the light-fingered little runt.

Still, I wanted to go down the line and have anyone ejected who couldn't name their 3 favourite Shearer goals.

Mark Millward said...

not sure whether to tell this story or not, but i shall anyway, just because it is so ridiculous and it made me laugh. it involves a fan meeting a player, albeit on a far more minor scale.

in fact, i won't tell it here as it's a bit naughty, and weird. and rubbish. it's on my blog

Anonymous said...

haha, thats ace!!

Anonymous said...

my stepdad took me to see southampton a lot when i was a kid (even though im a liverpool fan) and it was when shearer was just getting known, and they were all chanting his name, and i sang along, thinking they were taking the piss out of one of the players, singing "she-ra" "she-ra", you know, he-man's bird.

Anonymous said...

that was me, by the way. liam. pretty crap. but it doesnt matter, i got to see le tissier and shearer (you know, he-mans bird) many a time. top man.

Owen said...

I'm surprised the she-ra one doesn't get used more often.

Especially by the Manchester "can't believe he preferred to go and play for his home town club in front of the terraces he used to stand on as a boy when he could have instead joined our team and played in front of thousands of loyal fans. Fans so loyal a lot of them now divide their time between this club and another club they set up, even though the new club was supposedly set up in protest against the original club so it doesn't really make sense to follow both" United fans.

Banter.

(Sorry MM, couldn't help myself!)