Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Brisbane and beyond

It was good to get to Brisbane after a mammoth journey from Sydney, and waiting for me there was Rich Bibby, one of the Manchester clan now stationed on this side of the world. We had a few beers and a catch up but the main event was the next night.

After a day of having a nose round the city centre I met up with Rich for a beer or 2, then later on we hit the local areas hard, ending up in some student place rather worse for wear...

The next day was spent nursing a horrendous hang over in a very humid house. I hadn't noticed the air con machine unfortunately.

Dunc
arrived on the Thursday and Milo, the house dog, took an immediate shine to him...

We had a bbq and a few beers that night although it wasn't the liveliest - me and Rich were still feeling pretty rough and Dunc had had about 4 hours sleep in the last 4 days.

The Friday night was a good one. We met up with some of Rich's work buddies and saw a few different bars. Now pay attention because I'm about to tell you the most spooky story ever...

In one of the bars the music was fairly funky and they played Get on the Good Foot by James Brown. This prompted me to tell Dunc about the tunes me and Rob have on when we're driving to footy, then ask him to guess the last one we have on. Pretty random question. His 2 guesses - The Final Countdown and Eye of the Tiger. Both wrong.

I then get a call from Rob who was out in Auckland. I'd sent him a text to tell him of the James Brown tune and he then tells me that he's been in a bar having to listen to the Final Countdown followed by Eye of the Tiger.

WEIRD.

And so to the Saturday and our little road trip to Surfers Paradise. This was great fun, although Surfers is essentially a tacky holiday resort (we stayed at The British Arms) it does have great weather and miles of sparsely populated beaches. So we had a great time larking around in the sunshine during the day time...

And then a tour of a few of the bars around town...

Brisbane was a good laugh and it was great to catch up with Rich and Dunc again. Thanks to Rich and his flatmates for letting me stay for so long and for being such good hosts. For more pictures, follow this LINK

On the Monday I headed back to Sydney and the extended hospitality of Chris and Jill. My mum was landing in Sydney on the Wednesday morning so we got chance to hang out for a bit longer. More thanks due to Chris and Jill for letting me stay and giving me a great base from which to explore Sydney.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very subtle use of the linking protocol Gartside- I bet you spent a happy few hours taking those diving catch photos, am I right?