Friday, January 05, 2007

Jan 2nd...

Kayaking on the sea was booked in for midday. The weather didn't look great at all (again) so Chris called the company to check that all was ok. He was as good as called a poofter for doubting it. Turns out it got too windy so they stopped anyone else going out after us. Nice.

In keeping with my trip to Sydney so far I was in a single boat while the others occupied doubles (out come the violins). My boat was much faster, but I did have to do all the paddling by myself. It was pretty tiring stuff going out in the choppy waters but after about an hour we arrived at a nearby beach and docked there to eat a fish and chip lunch. Not exactly the perfect mid-exercise feed but it had to be done and after a short break we headed back.

Great fun, totally shattering and a bit of a shame I didn't have someone to share the workload. But I loved it and it was probably a good thing that no one was around to hear my language after the wake from a supercharged speedboat almost capsized me.

That evening we hopped in a hire car and drove 2 hours to Cessnock in Hunter Valley, home to some of Australia's most famous wines. We passed some kangaroos but I was driving and thought it best not to take my eyes off the road given the hairpin bends and steep ravines off one side.

No comments: